This blog comes to you from the people at Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO http://www.peacemennonitechurch.net Scripture follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/ Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the left. Psalm 102:1-17 Proverbs 3:13-18 John 8:31-38
Hear My Prayer, O Lord 052511
Psalm 102:1 (below) is our title today, as we think and pray for all those in the Midwest caught in the black, twisting tornadoes sweeping the central US and moving east. Hear our prayer, O Lord. We particularly grieve with those families that lost loved ones,and we pray for the doctors, nurses, firefighters and rescue angels who are there in the name of Jesus to help those in need. Pray today for their safety and care, and pray for peace. If humankind has any hand in weather by global warming and climate change, let us change our use of the God’s earth to reverse our harm, and pray for peace as we do. (brother) Bill
1Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you. 2Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call. 3For my days pass away like smoke, and my bones burn like a furnace. 4My heart is stricken and withered like grass; I am too wasted to eat my bread. 5Because of my loud groaning my bones cling to my skin. 6I am like an owl of the wilderness, like a little owl of the waste places. 7I lie awake; I am like a lonely bird on the housetop. 8All day long my enemies taunt me; those who deride me use my name for a curse. 9For I eat ashes like bread, and mingle tears with my drink, 10because of your indignation and anger; for you have lifted me up and thrown me aside. 11My days are like an evening shadow; I wither away like grass. 12But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever; your name endures to all generations. 13You will rise up and have compassion on Zion, for it is time to favor it; the appointed time has come. 14For your servants hold its stones dear, and have pity on its dust. 15The nations will fear the name of the Lord, and all the kings of the earth your glory. 16For the Lord will build up Zion; he will appear in his glory. 17He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and will not despise their prayer.
13Happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding, 14for her income is better than silver, and her revenue better than gold. 15She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. 16Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. 17Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. 18She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called happy.
John 8:31-38 31
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, ‘You will be made free’?” 34Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there forever. 36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know that you are descendants of Abraham; yet you look for an opportunity to kill me, because there is no place in you for my word. 38I declare what I have seen in the Father’s presence; as for you, you should do what you have heard from the Father.” The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- O Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come to you. (Psalm 102:2) (catholicjournaling.wordpress.com)
- Lord, Bend Down and Hear My Prayer Psalm 86:1-13 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Promises From God (jesusmyjoy.wordpress.com)
- A Prayer for Mothers (rowsofsharon.com)
- Praying for Joplin Mo. – Another Devastating Tornado Hits (godspace.wordpress.com)
- Monster Tornado Destroys 30% of Joplin, Missouri (savoringscripture.wordpress.com)
- More Found Dead As Tornadoes Sweep Across US (news.sky.com)
- “Missouri Tornado: Churches Coming Together to Pray and Help Victims” and related posts (huffingtonpost.com)
- Say a prayer today for all those poor tornado-ravaged folk in and around Joplin, Missouri. Can’t imagine the grief and loss they’re feeling! (jeremyreynalds.wordpress.com)
- 124 Dead as More Tornadoes Head to Joplin, Mo. (abcnews.go.com)
- “A link between climate change and Joplin tornadoes? Never!” and related posts (realneo.us)
- Videos From Joplin, MO, USA, Twister This Past Weekend (annem040359.wordpress.com)
- Joplin Braces For Second Round of Severe Weather (abcnews.go.com)