This blog comes to you from the people at
Scripture follow the meditation and thoughts.
Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the left.
2 Timothy 1:8-12a
Psalm 8 is a wonderful start to our day. Starting the day in praise for God with our own personal worship changes the way the day happens.
One’s natural inclination is to read through the scriptures quickly, or lightly. We have to read so much, and so much doesn’t require careful attention, we may forgotten to read slowly, and to read outloud. But the Psalms are like poetry; they are to be read outloud and slowly.
Take a breath and sigh and read Psalm 8 outloud with your morning coffee or tea.
1O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.
2Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have founded a bulwark because of your foes, to silence the enemy and the avenger.
3When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established;
4what are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them?
5Yet you have made them a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor.
6You have given them dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under their feet,
7all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field,
8the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
9O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
38Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind: 2“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3Gird up your loins like a man, I will question you, and you shall declare to me.
4“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. 5Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone 7when the morning stars sang together and all the heavenly beings shouted for joy? 8“Or who shut in the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb?— 9when I made the clouds its garment, and thick darkness its swaddling band, 10and prescribed bounds for it, and set bars and doors, 11and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stopped’?
2 Timothy 1:8-12a
8Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, 9who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, 12and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- Painting Through the Psalms (raisingdeeproots.wordpress.com)
- Structure in Romans: the glory chapter (briancoatney.com)
- Review: Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Meditations on Psalms (mollystories.wordpress.com)
- His Blood is Bibline! (justificationbygrace.com)
- The Only Begotten Son (coffeehouseapologetics.wordpress.com)
- How to Read and Study the Bible (michaelelynch.wordpress.com)
- Readings: Trinity Sunday, June 19th, 2011 (stjohnscathedral.ca)
- Feelings are Fickle (awarmcupofcomfort.com)
- Thank God for the Performance of His Promises (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- The Whole Heart (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Lord, Thank You for My Church – Psalms 122:1 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Lord, I Want to Honor Your With My Thankfulness – Psalms 50:23 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Lord, My Life is In Your Hands – Psalm 66:9 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Have You Ever Felt Abandoned by God? Psalm 22:1 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Favorites – Psalm 104 (countingmyblessings.typepad.com)