This blog comes to you from the people at
GUEST BLOG AUTHOR! This week our guest blog author is Pastor Janet.
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
Today’s guest blogger is Pastor Janet.
“This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another (1 John:11).” Simple words – difficult truth. Jesus made it a simple command. But we make it complicated – we tend to preface it with, but he’s not like me, he’s a different race or color, or he wronged me. You fill in the reason . There are people we find it hard to love.
Let’s jump to today’s Psalm passage and see how God treats us: “The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.” I’m very thankful for God’s compassion and forgiveness. Let’s try very hard to treat others with the love that God bestows on us. We can grant others no less than what God gives us.
Pray for those you have difficulty loving. It’s almost impossible to hate someone you’re praying for!
Blessings & Peace Abundant,
1 John 3:11-16
11For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 12We must not be like Cain who was from the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother’s righteous. 13Do not be astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates you.
14We know that we have passed from death to life because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides in death. 15All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. 16We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another.
8The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
9He will not always accuse, nor will he keep his anger forever.
10He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12as far as the east is from the west, so far he removes our transgressions from us.
13As a father has compassion for his children, so the Lord has compassion for those who fear him.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Related articles are presented without endorsement
- The Unseen God 081711 (via Mennonite Preacher) (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- Seven 081011 (via Mennonite Preacher) (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- John Crisp: Declining national anthem is a right (knoxnews.com)
- “Why I Don’t Sing The Star Spangled Banner” (5ptsalt.com)
- Now GOD is… (gojoewesley.com)
- Regeneration (savouringthegospel.wordpress.com)
- Mennonite Pastor Responds To The National Anthem Rukus At Goshen College (hooglyboogly.co)
- God’s Love Letter to You (marianneangelie.wordpress.com)
- Sermon on the Mount: The Obedience of the Righteous Matthew 5:21-26 (xulonjam.wordpress.com)
- When I Feel Like Running Away … I Remember (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- Lesser known characters :: Gaius (thepauls.wordpress.com)
- Mission Matters! (tiedtothailand.wordpress.com)
- Praise for Morning 080811 (via Mennonite Preacher) (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- The Compassion of the Lord (gladlylistening.wordpress.com)
- Pacifist Indiana college picks anthem replacement (wilderside.wordpress.com)
- who started your church? (newevangelizationm.wordpress.com)