This blog comes to you from the people at
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23
An Enemy Of The World, Or An Enemy Of The Earth 100711
The words of the book of James are often strong, but it feels like we need them, doesn’t it?
What does it mean to say that we are an enemy of the world? Is this the same as being an enemy of the earth?
To me it is not same. The ‘world’ is this thing created by Satan the Bible says that is the sum of mankind’s way of doing things, of treating each other and of treating the physical earth and all its creatures. The earth is this small green and blue marble in the vast universe on which we live with countless other living things. We all depend upon one another on the earth.
We can remember, with James, that to be a friend of the world is to be a friend of Satan. But also remember that to be a friend of the earth is to love the Genesis creation of God.
Love something new on earth today, and draw near to God as in James.
Pray for peace,
1Praise the Lord! O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.
2Who can utter the mighty doings of the Lord, or declare all his praise?
3Happy are those who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times.
4Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people; help me when you deliver them;
5that I may see the prosperity of your chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the gladness of your nation, that I may glory in your heritage.
6Both we and our ancestors have sinned; we have committed iniquity, have done wickedly.
19They made a calf at Horeb and worshiped a cast image.
20They exchanged the glory of God for the image of an ox that eats grass.
21They forgot God, their Savior, who had done great things in Egypt,
22wondrous works in the land of Ham, and awesome deeds by the Red Sea.
23Therefore he said he would destroy them— had not Moses, his chosen one, stood in the breach before him, to turn away his wrath from destroying them.
9Then Moses and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel went up, 10and they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there was something like a pavement of sapphire stone, like the very heaven for clearness. 11God did not lay his hand on the chief men of the people of Israel; also they beheld God, and they ate and drank.
4Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5Or do you suppose that it is for nothing that the scripture says, “God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6But he gives all the more grace; therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Lament and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into dejection. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- Heidelberg Catechism Lord’s Day 52 (glmc.wordpress.com)
- Here am I! (heatheregartshore.wordpress.com)
- The Long Conversation (zerohedge.com)
- Young Earth Creationism in the 21st Century (sandwalk.blogspot.com)
- Wrestling with a Very Near Enemy (ptl2010.wordpress.com)
- How this universe came into existence (wiki.answers.com)
- The Stars and Comets distractions – Manifest your Light and Love – Lucas (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Bible Study club (traditionalchristianity.wordpress.com)
- Sermon: Sunday, September 11, 2011 – First Sunday in Season of Creation, Forests (byproclamation.wordpress.com)
- The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. Psalm 24:1 (freelancingallday.wordpress.com)
- Hip Hop Culture 101 Pt 3 – FIVE Elements? By Apostle Ricardo Butler (reasondisciple.wordpress.com)
- Scriptures for Praise and Worship on 100211 (jonwellman.com)
- “Get To a Better State” Finding Christian Teaching in Yet Another Commercial (adw.org)