This blog comes to you from the people at
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
As They Were Coming Down The Mountain 121411
Sometimes I am struck by short phrases in a Bible passage that don’t at first seem important. The title of today’s blog is a short line from Mark 9:9.
It doesn’t seem important, and maybe isn’t but the phrase is one of those that convinces me that the writer or storyteller of the scripture had first hand knowledge of the story, or collected his story from those who did have first hand knowledge. In this story, it adds credence that this phrase begins the story of Jesus’ discussion this day with his disciples and what they talked about as they were coming down from the mountain. Someone who wasn’t there might say. ‘They also talked about xxxxxx, or yyyyy.’ etc. A story would not carry a particular place and activity such as this with it, since it doesn’t add meaning by itself.
Sometimes I am working and it seems as if Jesus is with me. I could almost say ‘As I was doing carpentry by the barn…..
May Christ be with you today. Pray for peace.
1Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
2As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people, from this time on and forevermore.
3For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest on the land allotted to the righteous, so that the righteous might not stretch out their hands to do wrong.
4Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts.
5But those who turn aside to their own crooked ways the Lord will lead away with evildoers. Peace be upon Israel!
16Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord took note and listened, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who revered the Lord and thought on his name. 17They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, my special possession on the day when I act, and I will spare them as parents spare their children who serve them. 18Then once more you shall see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.
4See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble; the day that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch. 2But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. 3And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts.
4Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes and ordinances that I commanded him at Horeb for all Israel. 5Lo, I will send you the prophet Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes. 6He will turn the hearts of parents to their children and the hearts of children to their parents, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse.
9As they were coming down the mountain, he ordered them to tell no one about what they had seen, until after the Son of Man had risen from the dead. 10So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what this rising from the dead could mean. 11Then they asked him, “Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” 12He said to them, “Elijah is indeed coming first to restore all things. How then is it written about the Son of Man, that he is to go through many sufferings and be treated with contempt? 13But I tell you that Elijah has come, and they did to him whatever they pleased, as it is written about him.”
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Related articles are presented without endorsement
- So also will the Son … … (cmcsarchchicago.wordpress.com)
- December 14 (bibleday2day.wordpress.com)
- “Prepare the way of the Lord” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Transfiguration of the Jesus (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Shout to The Lord (lifeofafemalebiblewarrior.wordpress.com)
- Day 95 | Matthew 17:1-13 | Get Up. Don’t be Afraid. (commonmansbiblejourney.wordpress.com)
- Incredible! The Lord’s Disciples Saw Moses And Elijah Talking With Jesus About His Death At Jerusalem! (soulrefuge.org)
- “Joy, Love, and the Day of Judgment” (pjsprayerline.blogspot.com)
- Peace Be With You (themoresureword.com)
- How did the disciples know that Moses and Elijah were at the Transfiguration (wiki.answers.com)
- “The tax collectors and harlots go into the kingdom of God before you” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Mark 1:16-20 – Was Jesus’ Calling of the Disciples a Bait and Switch? (jonchanchewscud.wordpress.com)
- The Transfiguration: Gospel to the Dead (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- Prepare the Way (ransomedbeggar.wordpress.com)
- What are the prophecies that have yet to come true in Revelation (wiki.answers.com)
- Message: “Reaching and Catching” Sunday, August 7, 2011, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Kingston, ON (religare72.wordpress.com)
- The Day Of His Power (freedomarc.wordpress.com)
- Mount Horeb (pttyann2.wordpress.com)
- Carried off by force (omharris.wordpress.com)
- Mark 9:1-13 (biblestudy123.wordpress.com)
- ^UR- That the God of our Lord Jesus Chri (rosary2007.wordpress.com)
- December 13 (bibleday2day.wordpress.com)
- Matt. 17:1-13; Mark 9:2-13; Luke 9:28-36 (brakeman1.wordpress.com)
- What are the names of the persons who appeared to Jesus on the mount (wiki.answers.com)
- November 9 (bibleday2day.wordpress.com)
- The Unseen God 081711 (via Mennonite Preacher) (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- October 30 Activities (immanuelmennonite.wordpress.com)
- Thankful for… (ponderingpastorswife.wordpress.com)
- “Elijah does come, and he is to restore all things” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Blessed is He Who Comes in the Name of the Lord Hoseanna Hoseanna Hoseanna (walkinstep.wordpress.com)