This blog comes to you from the people at
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
1 John 1:1-9
Walking in Light 122711
Walking in the light which is God is a metaphor, we know, but to carry the metaphor of 1 John 1 a little further, the darkness which exists in the absence of the light of God is sin, and to sin is to not live in the light of God as we could.
The mystical and wondrous relationship we develop with God is a light always available to us. Why do we sometimes look away? And sin?
Pray for peace,
1Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights!
2Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his host!
3Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars!
4Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
5Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded and they were created.
6He established them forever and ever; he fixed their bounds, which cannot be passed.
7Praise the Lord from the earth, you sea monsters and all deeps,
8fire and hail, snow and frost, stormy wind fulfilling his command!
9Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars!
10Wild animals and all cattle, creeping things and flying birds!
11Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth!
12Young men and women alike, old and young together!
13Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his glory is above earth and heaven.
14He has raised up a horn for his people, praise for all his faithful, for the people of Israel who are close to him. Praise the Lord!
18Moses said, “Show me your glory, I pray.” 19And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you the name, ‘The Lord’; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20But,” he said, “you cannot see my face; for no one shall see me and live.” 21And the Lord continued, “See, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock; 22and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; 23then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen.”
1 John 1:1-9
1We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— 2this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us— 3we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.
5This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with him while we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is true; 7but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- 1 John 1:5-7 (ESV) (lwharper.wordpress.com)
- Placed In The Light – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Verse of the day – Walk In The Light (livesharp.org)
- Thought for Today: A Great Light (pastormercier.wordpress.com)
- The Word Became Flesh: John 1:1-14 (unveiledreflections.com)
- Are you letting your circumstances ruin your Christmas? (pastormikesays.wordpress.com)
- Is there a Difference between Jesus being Savior & Jesus being Lord? (faithbibleministries.wordpress.com)
- How to write a psalm or song of praise to the Lord (examiner.com)
- Psalm 18 ~~ Light My Candle (snowwhitedove.wordpress.com)
- Sight: God’s Christmas Gift to Us (supportinggodlywomen.wordpress.com)
- “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you may now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel.” (richardangulo.wordpress.com)
- Your word endures forever (thebereanway.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Church Fellowship: Why go to Church? (thewritelife2.wordpress.com)
- Why is it hard to move on? (worshipandswag.wordpress.com)
- Christmas Day 2011 (prayerbookguide.wordpress.com)
- Christ Eternal! (psalmsofpraisewomensministries.wordpress.com)
- Love, Light and Life (theharvestprinciple.wordpress.com)
- Daily Tidbits 12/25/11 – Shadows of Messiah: Christmas (littleguyintheeye.wordpress.com)
- Let Your Light Shine (kingdaughter.wordpress.com)
- This Precious JESUS…………. (scripturalthoughts.wordpress.com)
- Quiet Walk Crosswalk@crosswalkmail.com (thechristiangazette.wordpress.com)
- “The kingdom of heaven is at hand” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Anabaptists and Mennonites (beautifulunion.wordpress.com)
- Do You Know What I Know? 1 John 3:16-19 (dianneguthmuller.com)