This blog comes to you from the people at
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
We are praying as a church, and attempting to follow the centuries’ old tradition of praying with other Christians three times a day. We are following the prayer liturgy at www.commonprayer.net
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
It Remained Upon Him 011812
This an amazing and beautiful image. The dove, a large white bird, has become the international symbol of peace, so it is good for us where the symbol originates.
The underlying event is that the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus during his baptism. But have any of us ever felt like the Holy Spirit descend upon us, which John the Baptist(er) saw to be like a dove?
I feel like we need to watch for the Holy Spirit, and really, thrill in it, because it feels like a 10°F day. It is such a relief, and exhilarating, yet causes a feeling of well being and security. Today, while recalling the baptism of Jesus, maybe we can recall our daily blessing from the Holy Spirit.
Pray for peace,
Psalm 69:1-5, 30-36
An Urgent Plea for Help in Trouble
To the Chief Musician. Set to “The Lilies.” A Psalm of David.
1 Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in deep mire,
Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.
4 Those who hate me without a cause
Are more than the hairs of my head;
They are mighty who would destroy me,
Being my enemies wrongfully;
Though I have stolen nothing,
I still must restore it.
5 O God, You know my foolishness;
And my sins are not hidden from You.
30 I will praise the name of God with a song,
And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
31 This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bull,
Which has horns and hooves.
32 The humble shall see this and be glad;
And you who seek God, your hearts shall live.
33 For the Lord hears the poor,
And does not despise His prisoners.
34 Let heaven and earth praise Him,
The seas and everything that moves in them.
14 “Fear not, you worm Jacob,
You men of Israel!
I will help you,” says the Lord
And your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
15 “Behold, I will make you into a new threshing sledge with sharp teeth;
You shall thresh the mountains and beat them small,
And make the hills like chaff.
16 You shall winnow them, the wind shall carry them away,
And the whirlwind shall scatter them;
You shall rejoice in the Lord,
And glory in the Holy One of Israel.
17 “The poor and needy seek water, but there is none,
Their tongues fail for thirst.
I, the Lord, will hear them;
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.
18 I will open rivers in desolate heights,
And fountains in the midst of the valleys;
I will make the wilderness a pool of water,
And the dry land springs of water.
19 I will plant in the wilderness the cedar and the acacia tree,
The myrtle and the oil tree;
I will set in the desert the cypress tree and the pine
And the box tree together,
20 That they may see and know,
And consider and understand together,
That the hand of the Lord has done this,
And the Holy One of Israel has created it.
John’s Witness at Christ’s Baptism
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ 31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”
32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”
- “He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Prayer for Wednesday (Christian Unity) (yourdailyprayer.wordpress.com)
- Don’t build a bridge over troubled waters! Wade on in! A Meditation on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. (adw.org)
- Sermon – Mark 1:4-11 (Jennifer) (parishsermons.wordpress.com)
- Why Was Jesus Baptized? (ldstalk.wordpress.com)
- Holy Epiphany of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ: Matt 3:13-17 (modeoflife.org)
- 01/08/2012 By Water and Spirit (richbrownforewords.wordpress.com)
- Up from the Water — A Lectionary Reflection (bobcornwall.com)
- Reading Scripture For 1/8/12 (graceblog.wordpress.com)
- The Dove and The Holy Spirit (tnlighthouse.wordpress.com)
- Why we are failing to convert others to Christianity (cinhosa.wordpress.com)
- The Spirit of God (meexpressed.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Is The Son Of God (applesofgoldministries.net)
- leonard oprea The Feast of the BAPTISM of CHRIST – THE First Man baptized with Holy Spirit (magultheophil.wordpress.com)
- He identifies with us by Violet Nesdoly (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Baptism of Jesus – B: Jan. 8 (lifeinliturgy.wordpress.com)
- Power in Fasting – Strength Conditioning (pastorstrom.com)
- “Behold the Lamb of God!” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- On the Nature of Christ (christadelphians.wordpress.com)
- Advent Series Day 11: the Spirit of wisdom (everydayawe.com)
- Matthew 3 – Psalm 35 – 37 (faithsticks.wordpress.com)
- Message: “To What is God Calling Us?”, Sunday, January 8th, 2012 (religare72.wordpress.com)
- I will never forget my Baptism (brusharbors.wordpress.com)
- You CAN Hear God (rmgarvin.wordpress.com)
- The Samaritan Pentecost (smoodock45.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating Baptism (gladlylistening.wordpress.com)
- God Pours Out His Spirit (pastorht.wordpress.com)
- Anointing… (sunshinelittleone.wordpress.com)
- Resurrection And The Leading Of The Spirit – Exodus 13 (answersfromthebook.org)