This blog comes to you from the people at
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog. Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
2 Peter 3:1-7
Sing To The Lord; Praise The Lord! 012712
From Jeremiah 20:13 comes our day’s title, but the writer continues and says ‘For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hands of evildoers’. I am reminded that for Christians and Jewish devotees share a heritage being the oppressed, of being the victim, of being the needy.
Modern statistics might show something very different now, in that Christians (or citizens of formerly Christian nations) enjoy the status of being the most wealthy and consuming people in the history of the world. Globally, these statistics are clear for Christians (and North American Christians and European Christian nations outweigh the wealth of other Christians globally).
This causes a conflict, because some think you have to twist and restate Christianity in a big way to get Christianity to be the faith of the wealthy, the white and the male Christians of a few Northern hemisphere nations.
But what kind of Christians are you and I? Do we share our faith as humble, simple and poor Christians, sharing our meager resources with the poor of the world, or are we those rich Christians who believe (even when unacknowledged) that we believe Jesus has blessed us with wealth, material goods in excess, good food, good water and good health care (or sort of good) because we are Christians and that we somehow deserve these things, even if we must use force and death to keep them.
Pray for peace,
5For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
6He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
8Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah
9Those of low estate are but a breath, those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath.
10Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God,
12and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay to all according to their work.
7O Lord, you have enticed me, and I was enticed; you have overpowered me, and you have prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; everyone mocks me. 8For whenever I speak, I must cry out, I must shout, “Violence and destruction!” For the word of the Lord has become for me a reproach and derision all day long. 9If I say, “I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,” then within me there is something like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot. 10For I hear many whispering: “Terror is all around! Denounce him! Let us denounce him!” All my close friends are watching for me to stumble. “Perhaps he can be enticed, and we can prevail against him, and take our revenge on him.” 11But the Lord is with me like a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble, and they will not prevail. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten. 12O Lord of hosts, you test the righteous, you see the heart and the mind; let me see your retribution upon them, for to you I have committed my cause. 13Sing to the Lord; praise the Lord! For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hands of evildoers.
2 Peter 3:1-7
3This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you; in them I am trying to arouse your sincere intention by reminding you 2that you should remember the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets, and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken through your apostles.
3First of all you must understand this, that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and indulging their own lusts 4and saying, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since our ancestors died, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation!” 5They deliberately ignore this fact, that by the word of God heavens existed long ago and an earth was formed out of water and by means of water, 6through which the world of that time was deluged with water and perished. 7But by the same word the present heavens and earth have been reserved for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the godless.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Related articles are presented without endorsement
- Exposing Christian Lies – Tithing Pt 2 (leemalaulau.wordpress.com)
- Free Daily Christian Bedtime Stories – He told me that reading is the exist door from poverty (thechristianbookcompany.wordpress.com)
- Material Wealth May Cloak Spiritual Poverty (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)
- A Holy Deposit (morethanfourwalls.wordpress.com)
- How to Have Kindness (sabbathsermons.com)
- The Lord’s Church and Poverty (instrument-rated-theology.com)
- The Lord’s Church and Poverty (3) (instrument-rated-theology.com)
- Words of Power (jasonofgod.wordpress.com)
- A Congegational Prayer (thethirdcross.wordpress.com)
- A Doubter’s Prayer (baptistspirituality.wordpress.com)
- False Christianity? – Tithing Pt 1 (leemalaulau.wordpress.com)
- A Christian’s Plan To Financial Freedom (pathtogod.wordpress.com)
- Challenge 1 – To understand a Christian perspective on poverty, giving, and action! (chennaichallenge.com)
- 21 Bible Verses About Giving (christianpf.com)
- Getting on God’s Wavelength = Access to God’s Power (justsomegoodthoughts.wordpress.com)
- Days Are Numbered (disclose.tv)
- Christmas Giving vs. Christian Giving… (blaqsmith26.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Let the News Get You Down (evotionals.wordpress.com)
- Concerning Spiritual Gifts – Ever Increasing Faith (raymondjclements.wordpress.com)
- Eternal Poverty (atruediscipleofchrist.wordpress.com)
- The Pleasure of God in All He Does (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)
- Sunday January 29th Reflection (friarbobjohn.wordpress.com)
- journaled musings: a psalm (squeky.wordpress.com)
- Praise the LORD (evanlaar1922.wordpress.com)
- Judge Not! (michielovesthesun.wordpress.com)
- How to write a psalm or song of praise to the Lord (examiner.com)
- Sing Praises to the Lord (ptl2010.com)
- From the Lips of ALL People! (livesharp.org)
- “I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart (uphans7.wordpress.com)
- The Core of the Problem (thethirdcross.wordpress.com)