Your Old Men Shall Dream Dreams 032812
The title comes from Acts 2:17 and the entire verse says: 17‘In the last days it will be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.
That has always struck me as a powerful statement, and also a phrase of great music and poetry.
The hard part is deciding whether we are young men, or sons and daughters, or old men, because in one way or another we all are learning to prophecy, to fear or to dread the future, or to dream dreams of the future as old men (and old women, I add).
I’ve been having such dreams, and they always include a sense of peace, a sense of love and caring, and they always include a closeness to God.
Whoever you know or can talk to that is old: ask them what are their dreams of the future.
Pray for peace.
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Pray with us!
We are praying as a church, and attempting to follow the centuries’ old tradition of praying with other Christians three times a day. We are following the prayer liturgy at www.commonprayer.net
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog! Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
9How can young people keep their way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
10With my whole heart I seek you; do not let me stray from your commandments.
11I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.
12Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes.
13With my lips I declare all the ordinances of your mouth.
14I delight in the way of your decrees as much as in all riches.
15I will meditate on your precepts, and fix my eyes on your ways.
16I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.
44But now hear, O Jacob my servant, Israel whom I have chosen! 2Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you in the womb and will help you: Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen. 3For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my spirit upon your descendants, and my blessing on your offspring. 4They shall spring up like a green tamarisk, like willows by flowing streams. 5This one will say, “I am the Lord’s,” another will be called by the name of Jacob, yet another will write on the hand, “The Lord’s,” and adopt the name of Israel. 6Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. 7Who is like me? Let them proclaim it, let them declare and set it forth before me. Who has announced from of old the things to come? Let them tell us what is yet to be. 8Do not fear, or be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? You are my witnesses! Is there any god besides me? There is no other rock; I know not one.
14But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them, “Men of Judea and all who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to what I say. 15Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning. 16No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: 17‘In the last days it will be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams. 18Even upon my slaves, both men and women, in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy. 19And I will show portents in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and smoky mist. 20The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the coming of the Lord’s great and glorious day. 21Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ 22“You that are Israelites, listen to what I have to say: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know— 23this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. 24But God raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for him to be held in its power.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- Amish History (biblestudynotesilove.wordpress.com)
- Lenten Journey Day 35; Received (terri0729.wordpress.com)
- Interfaith Justice and Islamophobia in America: Lecture at Eastern Mennonite University (danieltutt.com)
- We Had A Dream! (lisafriesen.wordpress.com)
- The Swarming of the Prophets (A.D. 40 – A.D. 130) – Couchoud contd. (vridar.wordpress.com)
- Is Ellen White A Prophet? (sabbathsermons.com)
- Then we should be moving heaven and earth (omharris.wordpress.com)
- Sam Storms – Are Prophets Foundational to the Church? (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)
- Prophetic Words and the Ultimate Prepper Must Have, by Charles D. (survivalblog.com)
- Where Are The Dreams And Visions? (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- What Are We Without The Spirit Of God? (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- If my God gets magnified, then there is nothing minor about it. (omharris.wordpress.com)
- 70 prophecies but no prophets… (jonathancressey.wordpress.com)
- Return to the Lord (alcplatteville.wordpress.com)
- Dreams (laconiccommentator.wordpress.com)
- Understanding The Gospel: Understanding the language, cultural and historical contexts of Scripture (heatheregartshore.wordpress.com)
- How Are You Doing With Your Plastic Jesus? (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- March 15 (theinchimdailybiblemeditation.wordpress.com)
- Mountains and the promises of the gospel (creationconcept.wordpress.com)