This blog comes to you from the people at Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO
Isaiah 42:6(b) today says:…. I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, 7to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.
Many have understood this to mean that God was to send Jesus, the Messiah to the people, etc.
But what if God meant he was sending you and I, as disciples of Christ, to do all these things? The Message restatement says:
I have set you among my people to bind them to me,
and provided you as a lighthouse to the nations,
To make a start at bringing people into the open, into light:
opening blind eyes,
releasing prisoners from dungeons,
So, what does it mean if God is referring to us also, and not just Jesus? It is one of those moments that remind me when one says ‘Oh no, I didn’t know that was in my job description!’
This can remind one that a horrible contradiction continues to exist on this planet. Christian disciples are the followers of the most peace loving, peaceable, peace-making ‘person’ to walk the earth. Yet Christians continue to be the source of most military force. I don’t know whether there is some justification for this or not, but we still are the source of the weapons for the world, and since we Christians also have so much wealth, we are in the place of thinking we need to protect the wealth, and protect it all over the globe. Based on numbers, Christians are wealthy people who carry guns around the world.
I personally don’t know what the truth of this is, or what to do about it, but it should trouble all Christian disciples in some way deeply.
Pray for peace
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Pray with us!
We are praying as a church, and attempting to follow the centuries’ old tradition of praying with other Christians three times a day. We are following the prayer liturgy at www.commonprayer.net
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog! Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
1O sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things. His right hand and his holy arm have gotten him victory.
2The Lord has made known his victory; he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
3He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness to the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
4Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
5Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody.
6With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.
7Let the sea roar, and all that fills it; the world and those who live in it.
8Let the floods clap their hands; let the hills sing together for joy
9at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with equity.
5Thus says God, the Lord, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who walk in it: 6I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, 7to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. 8I am the Lord, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols. 9See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.
34Then Peter began to speak to them: “I truly understand that God shows no partiality, 35but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36You know the message he sent to the people of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ—he is Lord of all. 37That message spread throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John announced: 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39We are witnesses to all that he did both in Judea and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree; 40but God raised him on the third day and allowed him to appear, 41not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, and who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one ordained by God as judge of the living and the dead. 43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Related articles are presented without endorsement
- Before You Follow Jesus… (reflectionsintheword.org)
- ReAsOn’s Story – The Re-Call Back to Christ by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- ReAsOn’s Story – The Call to Church by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Believe Or Behave – Part I (ptl2010.com)
- A Jesus to worship…but to Godly to imitate (thewearypilgrim.typepad.com)
- ReAsOn’s Story – The Call to Apostleship by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Things You May Not Know About the Jewishness of Jesus (incisivereview.com)
- David Platt – The Gospel demands radical sacrifice (rodiagnusdei.wordpress.com)
- The way to receive a Victorious, Healthy Life through JESUS’ HEALING POWER (jewelindapalace.wordpress.com)
- ReAsOn’s Story – The Call to Family by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Belief Or Behavior (stevensawyer.wordpress.com)
- Get Dressed – April 22, 2012 – John 21 (prissiesissie.wordpress.com)
- The Power of Joy In The Prison Of Pain in Philippians (part 1) (stevemidkiff.wordpress.com)
- Tuesday: March 6 (prayerscapes.wordpress.com)
- Of Whom the World Was Not Worthy-vibia Perpetua (frommyheart2u.wordpress.com)
- Walk in Wisdom (delriochristianchurch.wordpress.com)
- Where’s Purgatory Again? (keltonburgpreacher.wordpress.com)
- 7 Things We Regularly Get Wrong About Worship (Part 2 of 2) (twentytwo30.wordpress.com)
- Thinking up, thinking big (thechristianpundit.org)
- Firefighter tells how he was once a felon and spent 10 years in prison. (overcomerstestify.com)
- Chosen Nation? No. Chosen People? Yes. (mikerivageseul.wordpress.com)
- Thursday: March 29 (prayerscapes.wordpress.com)
- The Importance of Hell (agapecc.wordpress.com)
- When Jesus Was in Prison (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)