Reading it Again 052412
Today’s passage from 1 Corihnthians moves around so much and so fast, it was helpful (for me) to read the passage in another version. Here’s the same passage from The Message, accessed today at http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2015:42b-49&version=MSG
1 Corinthians 15:42-49
42-44This image of planting a dead seed and raising a live plant is a mere sketch at best, but perhaps it will help in approaching the mystery of the resurrection body—but only if you keep in mind that when we’re raised, we’re raised for good, alive forever! The corpse that’s planted is no beauty, but when it’s raised, it’s glorious. Put in the ground weak, it comes up powerful. The seed sown is natural; the seed grown is supernatural—same seed, same body, but what a difference from when it goes down in physical mortality to when it is raised up in spiritual immortality!
45-49We follow this sequence in Scripture: The First Adam received life, the Last Adam is a life-giving Spirit. Physical life comes first, then spiritual—a firm base shaped from the earth, a final completion coming out of heaven. The First Man was made out of earth, and people since then are earthy; the Second Man was made out of heaven, and people now can be heavenly. In the same way that we’ve worked from our earthy origins, let’s embrace our heavenly ends.
I realize that many people get upset when we read the New Revised Standard Version or The Message paraphrase or even the New King James Version, but I get upset somewhat when people can’t understand the words of Jesus because of words like ‘thee’ or ‘thou’ when they try to know Jesus.
It is glorious to read the words of Jesus every day and to read the Bible anew. I hope God knows we all do the best we can.
Pray for peace
Peace Mennonite Church keeps a prayer list for those in need. If you need prayer, or want to e-mail our pastor, e-mail billd @ peacemennonitechurch.net (Take out the extra spaces to use this e-mail—the spaces confuse spam generators).
Pray with us!
We are praying as a church, and attempting to follow the centuries’ old tradition of praying with other Christians three times a day. We are following the prayer liturgy at www.commonprayer.net
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Peace Mennonite Church of Columbia, MO Permission is granted for one-time non-commercial use with proper attribution.
Scriptures follow the meditation and thoughts. Scriptures for the day selected by http://www.commontexts.org/
Subscribe to our blog! Delivery daily by e-mail. Click the button on the right.
12Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage.
13The Lord looks down from heaven; he sees all humankind.
14From where he sits enthroned he watches all the inhabitants of the earth—
15he who fashions the hearts of them all, and observes all their deeds.
16A king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
17The war horse is a vain hope for victory, and by its great might it cannot save.
18Truly the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love,
19to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
20Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and shield.
21Our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name.
22Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.
4These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created. In the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, 5when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up—for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no one to till the ground; 6but a stream would rise from the earth, and water the whole face of the ground— 7then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.
1 Corinthians 15:42b-49
42So it is with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. 43It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. 45Thus it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46But it is not the spiritual that is first, but the physical, and then the spiritual. 47The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48As was the man of dust, so are those who are of the dust; and as is the man of heaven, so are those who are of heaven. 49Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we will also bear the image of the man of heaven.
The New Revised Standard Version, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
- Great news fellow believers, we shall all be changed! (trumpeterwak.wordpress.com)
- oh, to be covered (musingsinmontage.wordpress.com)
- The Overflow of Easter: A Whole Theology of Resurrection in One Chapter by John Piper (rodiagnusdei.wordpress.com)
- Two Kinds Of Christians (evangelist91.wordpress.com)
- Christ (missk22.wordpress.com)
- 1 Corinthians 15-16 (mybiblereadingplan.wordpress.com)
- The Book of 1 Corinthians in 40 Tweets (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)
- Resurrection: Jesus Christ Was Raised From the Dead (kevinnunez.org)
- Angel Messages for May 21, 2012 Bless us dear Heaven! | Angelic Words (angelicwords.wordpress.com)
- Same message, different chapter (kevmill.wordpress.com)
- 04 The Manna from Heaven (sabbathsermons.com)
- Be Strong in the Lord (faith1stministries.com)
- The Bread of Life (eudoranachand.wordpress.com)
- What are your spiritual gifts? (unikcat.wordpress.com)
- Jesus will judge, so everything matters (lmelonakos.wordpress.com)
- The Power Source for Discernment (pttyann2.wordpress.com)
- SERIE 1 TOPIC: Schisms Must Be Eradicated Among the Church Of Christ Jesus. (2020missions.wordpress.com)
- The annointing of the Holy Spirit~ (thenoiseinmyheadtoday.wordpress.com)
- Message for Folks Practicing Sexual Sins and Just Came to the Knowledge of Our Lord and Master Jesus Christ. (the7truth7ministries72.wordpress.com)
- The LORD Jesus Christ- Our Passover (zionsgate.wordpress.com)
- Never Giving Up (brownbear10.wordpress.com)
- Tolle-ing a Garden of Abundance – Creation 170 (creativemuse365.wordpress.com)
- And Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God. Ephesians 4:30 (prepareforthelamb.wordpress.com)
- The Spirit Continues the Work of Christ (sjbrown58.wordpress.com)
- Spiritual Environmentalism (thegodguy.wordpress.com)
- Angels really do live on top of puffy white clouds! (thegodguy.wordpress.com)